Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Easy Corn Chowder

This is a Pampered Chef recipe that I have adapted for our family-- My hubby loves it! He says to put a double batch on the menu every week!

Easy Corn Chowder

2 med unpeeled red potatos
1 cup cubed cooked ham
1/2 cup diced red pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 t butter/marg
2 T all purpose flour
1 can chicken broth
1 can fat free evaporated milk
1 can creamed corn
2 T sliced chives
salt and pepper to taste
crumbled bacon topping

Cut Potatos into 1/2 inch cubes, set aside with ham, celery and peppers.

Heat butter in medium saucepan over med heat. Add peppers and celery; cook 3-4 minutes while stirring, until crisp tender. Stir in flour, heat until bubbly. Gradually add broth, evaporated milk and corn, whisking until blended.

Add potatos; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cook uncovered 10 min or until potatos are tender. Stir in ham, heat through. Remove from heat, add chives, season w/ salt & pepper. Ladle into bowls and top with bacon.

My adaptations: I don't use the chives. I did the first time, but buying them from the store is too expensive. I may pick up some dried also... I am trying to adapt it for the crockpot- but the first time it burned it, although it tasted fine, and the second time it was too runny. So, a work in progress :-) I also just cooked it with the bacon because we didn't have any ham, and that was pretty good, but we definitely like the ham flavor better.

If anyone has any suggestions for adapting to crockpot cooking, I would love to hear them!

3 comments:

Sonshine said...

don't have any ideas as to what to do to adapt it to the crockpot. but I wanted to say that it sure sounds yummy!

Martha said...

Just a thought here on the crockpot - I do most of my soups in the CP. Perhaps, combine all ingredients except the flour - and allow to cook for 6 hours or so - then add the flour mixed with a little water the last 1/2 hour to hour of cooking to thicken it up a little bit. Not sure if that would work - but I would not see why not. It would be a lengthy cooking time with uncooked potatoes in the CP - unless you boiled them a bit before you added them to the CP. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the recipie.

Blessings,
~Martie

Nicole said...

I agree with Martie just throw everything in and cook on low for about 8 hours. I make my potato soup in the crockpot that way.